Monday, October 17, 2011

Mahatalaky: A day at the market

Monday morning, the missionaries were hiring a private driver to go to the bustling metropolis of Mahatalaky to get some birth certificates to help some of their investigators get married.  They said I could come if I wanted, and it was an opportunity to go some places I wouldn't be able to on my own, so I offered to chip in some of the money.  Mahatalaky, however, was about 2 hours north on the road which we had come in to Ft. Dauphin on.  I told Busteed about the offer and explained where we were going, but he said something to the effect of "you couldn't pay me to go back down that road" (which I couldn't really blame him for).  So it was just the missionaries and I.  

Imagine my surprise as we roll into Mahatalaky, which less than 24 hours earlier had been a tiny town with one "hotely" (small restaurant) with the options of fish with rice or beef with rice (no veggies, no nothing).  Apparently, Monday was market day and so Mahatalaky instantly became the most bustling town south of Vangaindrano (14 hours north).



I believe this is either tarot root (sonjo in Malagasy) or manioc (mangahazo)

A fittingly unpretentious sign

As you can see, lots of folks

This is the hotely Busteed and I ate at on Sunday, and which the missionaries and I ate at on Monday.


Bags!


Hats!  I can't remember exactly, but I think these people were Antefasika (People of the Sand) and these were their tribal hats

Tsihy! (straw mats)

NatGeo Amateur Edition

This kid was too cool for school

Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Malagasy style.



Notice the baby in the background lol

This kid looks a lot like a kid from the Ambohipo ward - Bernard? Something with a B I think.

Kambana! (twins)

As if rural Madagascar (and the whole country for that matter) didn't have enough problems, this man (and 10 others sitting around him) are selling woven tobacco rope.  They cut you off a piece and you chew it.  #Nast.

The local church

This bell was donated by some American Lutheran churches

So adorable

I'm not sure how mad I am that the camera focused on the pot instead of the kid during this shot...

Shrimp.  Delightful smell.

Holy.  Talk about FDA Drugbust Heaven!
But seriously, in a town hours from the nearest pharmacy, this is the only way people can buy medicine


One of the coolest experiences during this trip (meaning my whole month in Madagascar) was walking through the market and all of the sudden hearing someone playing a djembe (I think thats what this is called in America, although thats not its Malagasy name).  Drums are not heard as often in Madagascar, probably because the people are more Indonesian than they are African, so it was cool to finally get a little bit of that African feeling

Startin' 'em young!

More tsihy

Again, loads of people.

Bananas!
These lovely ladies were the highlight of Mahatalaky.  They were just kinda chillaxing in one of the rooms at the local town hall.  When I walked by I kinda did my normal "hey hows it going" thing and instead of just ignoring me that got really friendly and a little pushy (in a nice way).  So we chatted for a bit (can't remember what about - usually about why I'm in Mada and why I can speak Malagasy), then the lady on the left offered me some pineapple.  Initially I was a little suspect, just b/c having only been in Mada for 3 weeks, I wasn't sure if my immune system was ready for fresh fruit from someone who probably didnt wash their hands or knife, but she insisted so I relented.  Also, I like pineapple cold. This was, much to my delight, some of the most delicious pineapple I have ever had.  My fears instantly (and probably irrationally) melted away (contrary to popular belief, deliciousness and cleanliness do not necessarily have a statistically significant correlation).  Anywho, I took the pineapple, and then promptly dropped it on the ground on accident - sad.  I go to pick it up and they started squawking at me "No no no! Just leave it! We'll give you a new one!" (so maybe they did know a thing or two about hygiene).  I was much appreciative of my new pineapple piece.  We continued chatting and they of course eventually asked me to take their picture (now that I think of it, I believe there was some sort of pineapple for picture deal).  I agreed and took a few pictures.  They of course immediately requested a copy of the picture.  Instead of resisting as I usually do, I decided to go for the full bore lie this time.
"Give us a picture!"
"Ok!
"Yay!"
...
"Wait a minute, when are you gonna give it to us?"
"Oh idk, tomorrow."
"Yay!"
...
"Wait a minute, we wont be here tomorrow! We live in the boonies and only come in once a week on Mondays for the market.  How about next week."
"Ok. Sure, I will come back next week with a copy of your photos"
"YAY!!!"

Hahaha! Silly ladies.  It is now kind of one of my life goals to eventually print 5 copies of this picture out and some day return to Mahatalaky with them.  I'll find the ladies and give them their pictures, and more likely than not, receive a scolding for taking so long.  (Never mind the fact that this would be at least a $2,000 endeavor - travel expenses and all) Hahaha that will be the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment