Friday, October 21, 2011

Outside Ft. Dauphin: Postcard Paradise

So, following our morning in urbane Mahatalaky, we ventured up and down the coast at Baie St. Luce (underlined in Yellow in another of my handy custom maps).  And then down to Evatraha (represented by the yellow circle, b/c GoogleMaps doesn't have it.) (Again, Taolagnaro is the seldom used Malagasy name of Ft. Dauphin)  Make sure to click on any and ALL of the pictures to view them in full size because some of them are really impressive (if I do say so myself : - )


An Aloalo (Malagasy totem pole type thing) next to some canoes at Sainte-Luce

Baie Sainte-Luce!

This place kind of reminded me of Swiss Family Robinson.  And these fancified canoes were pretty cool too : - )

Lobster! The missionaries (E. Smith and Peden) tried to barter for some of these beauties, but they wanted something like... $10 for a kilo (if I remember correctly) which may be a steal in America, but thats pretty expensive in Mada.  Not knowing even the first thing about cooking lobsters, we all decided against it)

Again, Swiss Family Robinson.

The Elders and I did a little exploring south along the beach (to the right in the above pictures).  This was a small creek that ran through the sand into the ocean.

Elder Peden on an outcropping of rock

Panorama of Baie Sainte-Luce.  The sun was SO bright that most of my pictures washed out.  And it was SO windy and the water was quite frothy

Just south of Baie Sainte-Luce is... another small bay.  Complete with a stone picnic table (between the Elders) a la Chronicles of Narnia.  Here we enjoyed a delicious snack of Tsiky-Nak (I had the curry flavored ones) provided by the missionaries : - )
Too all of you unaware of Tsiky-Nak... I am profoundly sorry. They were delicious!

Bringing in the day's catch.


On the beach down from the stone picnic table was this little private resort type thing... looked beautiful

Malagasies watching the waves crashing

So, a little north from the lobster folks (you can see them on the right) were some of these umbrella things.  There is a famous picture of E. Prouteau (from France) who served in La Reunion and as AP for Pres. Gaya from like 06 to 08.  It is of him sitting under an umbrella thing just like this, but in La Reunion at sunset.  As with many things, I never quite got to do it in La Reunion, and so when I saw this, I knew I had to do it.  It's not quite as dramatic as the sun setting on the ocean, but it's definitely unique : - )

The bustling market of Sainte-Luce (sarcasm intended)

Short story time.

During the last few weeks on my mission, I bought a bunch of post cards from the bookstore in Toamasina (Tamatave).  One of them had a picture of the sun setting over these mountains which appeared to be next to a lake or the ocean.  It was bar-none the most beautiful picture I'd seen of Madagascar... ever.  Which is saying a lot (if you've been paying attention to this blog at all, I think you'd agree).  On the back of the card was the title "Evatraha" but when I asked around, NOBODY knew where or what Evatraha was. I was disappointed and resigned myself to the idea I would never see it, and perhaps it didn't even exist in Madagascar.
(I just did a scan through all of my mission pics, and couldn't find the postcard [I often took pictures of postcards I bought in case they got lost in the mail]).
Anyways, one day while planning for the trip this June, I tried my luck and looked up Evatraha in the index of the Lonely Planet book.  BINGO! Apparently, it's located just north of Ft. Dauphin.  So when Busteed and I were planning our trip, luckily, we were both really set on going to Ft. D.

As fate would have it, we (the missionaries and I) were able to convince the driver to take us to Evatraha, which was on the way home but a little out of the way.  And my dream finally came true.  I believe you will concur with me that it is indeed, one of the most beautiful places... anywhere.

Leaving Sainte Luce, our first glimpse at the mountains

Reminds me of Jurassic Park

Seriously some of my favorite mountains on the planet.


As we drove to Evatraha, we passed some of these.  The cotiers (coastal regions/peoples) don't bury their people in tombs like the Merina and Betsileo of the highlands.  I'm not sure exactly how they bury them, but they mark their graves with this tall tsangambato (standing stones) these are more recent (and obviously christianized) versions of the original types which look like this:
As you can see, the were originally very pagan and were literally just standing stones.  Some of the graves are decorated with cow skulls which symbolize wealth and power.

Our delicious lunch at the hotely in Mahatalaky


BIBY LAVA! (snake!)

Again, dinosaur land.


In the middle of this picture is a fasana (tomb) next to a tsangambato (standing stone)

This was the lovely road to Evatraha. Seriously. Almost. Died.

Rice growing just outside the tiny fishing village of Evatraha

There are a series of bays, inlets, lakes, and rivers within the Evatraha peninsula.  We had to cross some of them (the water was never above our knees) to get to the beach and such.  

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE TO SEE IT FULL SIZE.  This place made for the most dramatic pictures.  In the center of this one is a little girl playing on this epic windswept beach.

Yours truly for the pose : - )
FYI, Ft. Dauphin is at the extreme left end of the peninsula you can see behind me.  This is one big sweeping bay that goes from the Ft. Dauphin peninsula that juts out, to the Evatraha peninsula where I am.  

VOILA! The postcard I referred to earlier was most likely taken from the top of the hill behind me right at sunset.  The sun was setting behind the mountains in the center and everything was lit in gold... gorgeous.  My panorama isn't as good, but I'm happy with it.

These two punks told us they were 18 I think.  You may think they're 8 or 10, but they're probably like 14 or something.


Normally the middle of the day doesn't give good shots, but I got a few that I like with the way the shadows were cast.  And this whole peninsula was lit up under a brilliant blue sky.  

Yes I took this.  It is now my laptop background picture.  : - ) And I have the shell to my mom : - )

Some of the sand was black. Made for some cool contrasts.

Again, this beach was amazing.  It was sooo epic.




On the way home we saw lemurs! Can you see him?

We defs got out of the car.

And approached them

And took cool pictures


And finally we were home again.

My pictures don't do this place justice, but they're close.  What baffled both Busteed and I was how this place was still so undeveloped both in a pristine-no-tourists way and in a these-roads-and-infrastructure-are-atrocious way.  My only hope is that somehow I can amass enough money fast enough to buy this place up and save it before it becomes polluted or turned into Rio or Miami.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go back and explore again - and to meet the gracious people.

    ReplyDelete